[linux-audio-user] soundblaster spdif out on IO expansion board to Sony dts system

Subject: [linux-audio-user] soundblaster spdif out on IO expansion board to Sony dts system
From: Jeremiah Benham (jjbenham_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 16:49:55 EEST

I have a soundblaster live mp3+ with the IO expansion board to give me spdif
in and outs. I have it going into my Sony dts receiver. It works as good as
it does in windows. (this is a linux question bare with me) The problem I
had with it in windows was that when I used spdif out I was expecting quad
sound. Instead I got something else. When I do the speaker test it says
front left in back not in front. When the test says rear L&R I hear nothing.
I tried various modes on my Sony. They all did the same thing. Some of them
mirrored the back into the front speakers. I would reverse the speakers but
it works fine under the 5.1 analog input. The output on both windows and
linux was alot softer when using the spdif out. I usually use the analog
inputs but I believe I should have better sound if the spdif was set up
correctly. I am not sure what the problem is. I know the mp3+ only supports
quad sound. I would have to get the mp3+ 5.1 to get a 5.1 channel sound. I
am kind of suspicious now and do not know if I want to upgrade to the mp3+
5.1. Would I be better of with a different soundcard. Would I better off to
purchase the speakers that were created for the sblive and put this sony on
my tv? I the sounds spdif out put not 100% compatible with the Sony? I
don't know.
Jeremiah