Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux
From: Andre Pang (ozone_AT_algorithm.com.au)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 10:41:21 EEST

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 08:06:09PM -0700, Krzys Majewski wrote:

> Hey I just compiled this plugin and it's great! Doesn't spin my
> harddrive. But: why is it spinning the CDROM really really fast? It's
> making all this crazy spinning noise like when you play videogames,
> and I never get that when I play cd's with grip or xmcd -

It should be no different from the behaviour you see if you use
cdparanoia or cdda2wav. Digitally extracting audio from a CD
typically 'plays' the audio at much higher speeds than if you were
actually just playing the song; some CD-ROMs can rip at >20x
real-time speed. Your CD-ROM is spinning fast because it's
ripping at faster-than-realtime speed. There's not much you can
do about this other than get a CD-ROM that's a bit more quiet :).

--
#ozone/algorithm <ozone_AT_algorithm.com.au>          - trust.in.love.to.save