[linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux
From: Mark C. Pawson (Mark.C.Pawson_AT_student.shu.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 11:43:22 EEST

Dear All,

I have just joined this list and I am very interested in the development of
audio support on Linux. I currently play back CDs using the standard Gnome CD
player with the OSS sound drivers. This works well although the sound does
suffer from electrical interference because of the thin CD audio cable inside
my PC. Does any software exist to play back CDs using digital audio extraction
(like the windows media player) using the IDE data cable and the DAC built into
the sound card? On windows this makes a dramatic improvement to the quality of
the audio playback. I have already done a lot of searching on the Internet,
Sourceforge, freshmeat and other sites but I have not found anything. Could
this be a possible project in the future for a talented developer interested in
AOL (Audio on Linux)?

Sincerely

Mark Pawson.