Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 12:13:35 EEST

"Mark C. Pawson" wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have just joined this list and I am very interested in the development of
> audio support on Linux. I currently play back CDs using the standard Gnome CD
> player with the OSS sound drivers. This works well although the sound does
> suffer from electrical interference because of the thin CD audio cable inside
> my PC. Does any software exist to play back CDs using digital audio extraction
> (like the windows media player) using the IDE data cable and the DAC built into
> the sound card? On windows this makes a dramatic improvement to the quality of
> the audio playback. I have already done a lot of searching on the Internet,
> Sourceforge, freshmeat and other sites but I have not found anything.

alsaplayer (http://www.alsaplayer.org) used to do this.
haven't checked it in a while, but it should still work.

the downside of doing this is that it loads the IDE bus and the
system, while using the analog cable has no noticeable effect on
performance, because it uses almost no system resources.

have you tried to get a better shielded cable ?
i haven't had any noise problems, and my machine is quite crammed (2
disks, cdrom, cdr, 2 cpus with fan, extra chipset fan, network, 2
soundcards, 2 scsi controllers).

> Could
> this be a possible project in the future for a talented developer interested in
> AOL (Audio on Linux)?

hmmm. why is it that i don't like this acronym ? :)

look at the alsaplayer source to see how it's done, it's GPL'd IIRC.

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany