Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 12:25:47 EEST

Mark C. Pawson hat gesagt: // Mark C. Pawson wrote:

> I have just joined this list and I am very interested in the development of
> audio support on Linux. I currently play back CDs using the standard Gnome CD
> player with the OSS sound drivers. This works well although the sound does
> suffer from electrical interference because of the thin CD audio cable inside
> my PC. Does any software exist to play back CDs using digital audio extraction
> (like the windows media player) using the IDE data cable and the DAC built into
> the sound card? On windows this makes a dramatic improvement to the quality of
> the audio playback. I have already done a lot of searching on the Internet,
> Sourceforge, freshmeat and other sites but I have not found anything. Could
> this be a possible project in the future for a talented developer interested in
> AOL (Audio on Linux)?

There exists a CD-Audio plugin for xmms (libcdaudio.so), that also works,
if your card lacks a CD-to-Soundcard cable, like many high end cards do
(Midiman for example.)

I never used it, though, because I have a standalone CD player.

bye,

--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______