Re: [linux-audio-user] kernel in ram partition.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] kernel in ram partition.
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 05:41:52 EET

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Does anyone out there have experience running the kernel from a ram
> partition? Is it easy to set up are there any tricks that make it
> easier?

i've looked into it and am about to do that. i figure if i just install
the apps i use it shouldn't take up much space. i have 1 gig of ram and
can add 512 megs more if needed (cheaply!). anyway, you use ramfs (which
can grow and shrink). i'm going to look at the setup of my suse install
cd, as it mounts its install image in ram, and let you know how to do it
later tonight. i wish to avoid all hard-drive latency problems, and
running everything in ram will do that (i'm not doing any multi-channel
recording currently).

-dave

--
perl -e'@email=split(//,".tenmhd\@nosbud");foreach$letter(@email){$
email=$letter.$email;}$email=~s/(m|net\.)/a\1\1/g;print"$email\n";'