Re: [linux-audio-user] cdaudio format

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] cdaudio format
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 06:21:22 EET

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Chuck Busby wrote:

> Hmmm - When I started the transfer to vinyl process the other night, I
> recorded with soundforge in win98 and moved the file to linux. Snd
> would not open this wav file. I opened it with bcast2000 and rendered
> it as a wav and snd opened it just fine. I just found the paper with the
> command on it and above the command I wrote " raw pcm big-endian ". Can
> I use sox to convert to that format? Or does that note make sense to
> anyone?

perhaps the problem is that some of these editors are putting
informational footers on the wav files. other editors will sometimes
distroy the footers when the file is resaved. i know cdparanoia and
mpg123, as well as other simple command-line wav recorders, do not produce
footers. i personnally know that cdrecord has no problem with wav files
recorded at 44100/16bit/stereo (little endian) from cdparanoia and mpg123.
the cd format is 44100/16bit/stereo raw pcm big-endian.
if you do manage to burn wav files with footers to audio cd, you could end
up with horrible noise at the end of each track.

cooledit and soundforge do create footers.
you can easily remove the footers using sox be "converting" wav to wav.
just do "sox path/wavfile.wav newpath/wavfile.wav", and then you can
delete the old wavfile. with the new wavfiles you can burn like this:
"cdrecord dev=target speed=# -dao *.wav"
i use -dao instead of -pad as you can make the tracks seemless (as many
should be, esp. in electronic music).

-dave