Re: [linux-audio-user] Best setup?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Best setup?
From: Joseph Zitt (jzitt_AT_metatronpress.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 07:42:07 EET

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 12:40:07AM -0500, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 07:26:29PM -0500, Paul Winkler wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 05:26:29PM -0600, Joseph Zitt wrote:
> > > I have a Roland UA-30 USB interface,but haven't tried it under Linux.
> >
> > That's one of the ones I'm looking at - let me know if it works! I
> > think you'll need a 2.4.something kernel. How do you like it with mac/doze?
>
> FYI, I just got a reply from someone else I've run into who uses it
> with linux. He confirms that it works fine with kernel 2.4 (bad clicks
> in the sound under 2.2). Full duplex works!

Potentially good news!

I just ordered Debian 2.2.3 (potato) from one of the cheap CD vendors.
(It would take too long to download the images on my dialup line.) It
comes with a 2.2 kernel. Would it be possible to upgrade to a 2.4
kernel, and would the low-latency upgrades be worthwhile? Are there
clear instructions somewhere on how to do this? (I've been using
UNIX-like systems since the '80s, but still feel like a newbie most of
the time.)

> Now I'm trying to find out if the Roland UA-30 and the Edirol UA-3 are
> the same thing. They seem to have the same features in a slightly
> different layout. Roland owns Edirol. Maybe I better call the company
> to find out.

Looking at the page on the Edirol unit at
http://www.audiomidi.com/hardware/roland/ua3/ they certainly seem
pretty much identical. I see an ominous note: "(USB Host
Controller/Chipset: Regarding USB Host Controller from VIA
technology. The UA-3 may not work with computers equipped with the
following chipset: VIA Apollo BX, VIA Apollo MVP3, VIA Apollo MVP4,
VIA Apollo Pro, VIA Apollo Pro Plus, VIA Apollo Pro 133A, VIA Apollo
Pro 133.)" Do we know if this would be a problem with the Latitude?

--
|> ~The only thing that is not art is inattention~ --- Marcel Duchamp <|
| jzitt_AT_metatronpress.com           http://www.metatronpress.com/jzitt |