Re: [linux-audio-user] Best setup?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Best setup?
From: Ross Vandegrift (ross_AT_willow.seitz.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 17:35:43 EET

> Would it be possible to upgrade to a 2.4
> kernel, and would the low-latency upgrades be worthwhile? Are there
> clear instructions somewhere on how to do this?

Sure, you can upgrade the kernel to 2.4. I haven't used Andrew Morton's
low-latency patch before, but I'm currently running the kernel preempt
patch and I like it. I haven't had the time to work on much audio
stuff as of late (trying all those cool programs people suggested is
sitting in my run queue...) but I would suspect that the preempt patch
would do nicely for audio related tasks. My system latency is very
noticably less, even under fairly heavy load (My audio doesn't skip
while: ripping a CD, building a kernel, downloading some goods,
browsing the web with mozilla, and running glxgears at around 150 FPS).

I'd say give it a shot! The procedure is very easy. The preempt patch
is available at kpreempt.sourceforge.net; follow the link to the
latest versions at Robert Love's page. Download a version of the patch
and a matching kernel, apply the patch as you would any kernel patch,
and remember to enable 'preemptable kernel' in General Setup.

Ross Vandegrift
ross_AT_willow.seitz.com