Re: [linux-audio-user] kernel in ram partition.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] kernel in ram partition.
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 18:01:51 EET

> you might want to fiddle with ramdisks for libs and applications

What sounded interesting to me was the idea of doing all your file
access from a ramdisk which enabled the use of diskless workstations
(and therefore silent boxes for recording or audiophile
environments.) RAM is so cheap now, it's almost a joke.

So the theoretical system might be:

1. diskless workstation with eg. 1 GHz processor (liquid cooled), 1GB
RAM, Gigabit ethernet, multi-channel soundcard.

2. Conventional NFS server outside studio, also with gigabit ethernet
or whatever.

Anyone know of an example of this kind of system in use (other than
the Transtec system for a stockbroker I already mentioned)?

Any obvious pitfalls?

Cheers

Daniel