Re: [linux-audio-user] Best setup?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Best setup?
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 19:03:35 EET

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 11:42:07PM -0600, Joseph Zitt wrote:
> I just ordered Debian 2.2.3 (potato) from one of the cheap CD vendors.
> (It would take too long to download the images on my dialup line.) It
> comes with a 2.2 kernel. Would it be possible to upgrade to a 2.4
> kernel, and would the low-latency upgrades be worthwhile?

Absolutely.

> Are there
> clear instructions somewhere on how to do this? (I've been using
> UNIX-like systems since the '80s, but still feel like a newbie most of
> the time.)

You'll probably need to upgrade a bunch of libraries. Grab the kernel
source version you want (i.e. one for which you can get LL patches),
and look at the docs that come with it - specifically,
Documentation/CHANGES will tell you what needs upgrading.

Then you apply your patches, and build and install like any other
kernel. If you've never done that before, this should help:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html
It also covers how to apply patches.

> Looking at the page on the Edirol unit at
> http://www.audiomidi.com/hardware/roland/ua3/ they certainly seem
> pretty much identical. I see an ominous note: "(USB Host
> Controller/Chipset: Regarding USB Host Controller from VIA
> technology. The UA-3 may not work with computers equipped with the
> following chipset: VIA Apollo BX, VIA Apollo MVP3, VIA Apollo MVP4,
> VIA Apollo Pro, VIA Apollo Pro Plus, VIA Apollo Pro 133A, VIA Apollo
> Pro 133.)" Do we know if this would be a problem with the Latitude?

No idea I'm afraid. Dell support is probably your best bet to find out
what chipset is in there. http://support.dell.com

--

paul winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com music: http://www.reacharms.com calendars: http://www.calendargalaxy.com