Re: [linux-audio-user] Best setup?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Best setup?
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 11:53:43 EET

Hi Joseph,

Joseph Zitt hat gesagt: // Joseph Zitt wrote:

> I just ordered Debian 2.2.3 (potato) from one of the cheap CD vendors.
> (It would take too long to download the images on my dialup line.) It
> comes with a 2.2 kernel. Would it be possible to upgrade to a 2.4
> kernel, and would the low-latency upgrades be worthwhile? Are there
> clear instructions somewhere on how to do this? (I've been using
> UNIX-like systems since the '80s, but still feel like a newbie most of
> the time.)

I'm a long time debian user so here are my worthy tips ;)

You can install a 2.4 kernel on potato without problems. But I would
recommend, that you upgrade your potato distribution to the so called
"testing" dist as soon, as you get the time. Maybe you should order
a set of cdroms, that includes the testing/unstable branch of debian
as well. The reason is, that a lot of libraries and stuff in debian
potato are a bit old. For example it's impossible get ardour working
on a potato system. PD on the other hand is no problem. I used it on
potato, I'm using it on debian unstable now.

Also it is important IMO, that you get familiar with the debian packaging
system and especially with apt-get and apt-cache. Regarding the kernel,
there also is a preferred way of building one under debian, and that
involves the tool make-kpkg from the "kernel-package-xxx.deb". The
kernel-package lets you build a kernel, that you then can install like
any other debian software package. That's so nice, it's a good reason to
switch to debian alone.

bye,

--
                                                 __    __