Re: [linux-audio-user] kernel in ram partition.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] kernel in ram partition.
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 09:21:07 EET

Daniel James wrote:

> > you might want to fiddle with ramdisks for libs and applications
>
> What sounded interesting to me was the idea of doing all your file
> access from a ramdisk which enabled the use of diskless workstations
> (and therefore silent boxes for recording or audiophile
> environments.) RAM is so cheap now, it's almost a joke.
>
> So the theoretical system might be:
>
> 1. diskless workstation with eg. 1 GHz processor (liquid cooled), 1GB
> RAM, Gigabit ethernet, multi-channel soundcard.
>
> 2. Conventional NFS server outside studio, also with gigabit ethernet
> or whatever.

nfs is dead slow. you won't even be able to saturate a 100mb link
with nfs, so you can go cheap with the network hardware.
but don't even think about playing back or recording 32 channels of
digital audio via nfs.

i'd say forget it.
AFAICT, the only viable solution is to have external a/d in the
recording room, go digital to a server in the machine room (which
has a hammerfall or something like that), and control the machine
with a diskless x-terminal.
this might even be possible for analog soundcards, but for pro
studios, the extra cable length is probably not acceptable.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany