Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: ALSA vs OSS (was Re: gogo)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: ALSA vs OSS (was Re: gogo)
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 00:57:53 EET

On Mon, 2001-11-05 at 06:34, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Josh Green wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2001-11-05 at 00:32, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> > >
> > > Alsaplayer will also play .ogg files so you can do it in the native alsa
> > > format without having to stoop to the oss emulation layer.
> > >

> > Does it matter? Correct me if I am wrong by all means, but it seems like
> > if a program doesn't have strict low-latency requirements the OSS API
> > works just fine. Its also more compatible (ALSA having support for OSS
> > but not the other way around).
>
> To my ears alsa sounds better but it could be a psycho acoustic
> phenomena.

It probably is psycho acoustic in nature, as I would hope that the same
digital audio played through the same device would sound the same :)
Unless there are some mixer controls that are being taken advantage of
(3D switch or something, although I don't prefer the 3D enhancement with
my SB Live). I do agree that ALSA is a superior audio API to OSS, I'm
sure you wouldn't find anyone who would contest that. Perhaps when ALSA
becomes the default sound system of choice and is distributed with the
kernel, then we'll see ALSA support in every audio program (although I
don't think OSS will go away any time soon).

--
    Josh Green
    Smurf Sound Font Editor (http://smurf.sourceforge.net)