Re: [linux-audio-user] [little OT]Why does this not exist?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [little OT]Why does this not exist?
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 15:04:43 EET

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Jason wrote:

> I want a portable 3-5 gig hard disk with an AES/EBU or Spdif input
> that will let me write ID's in between chunks of raw PCM Data at any
> bit/sampling rate that's reasonable. I want a fire-wire port And I
> want it to cost less than five hundred dollars.

[sounds like you're sitting in santa's lap (it's about that time, i
guess).]

well, then, make one! remember that brit a few years ago that made a
small computer to hook up to his car stereo to play mp3s and published his
designs and software? well, people were too lazy and inept to make it
themselves, so they bugged him to make them, so he did, and now he's rich
off of this. hrm... maybe i should keep this to myself and get busy!

anyway, you could probably find a small motherboard and cpu, add a laptop
harddrive, a good soundcard (mount it parallel to the motherboard), and
hook a laptop battery up to it. you might need to build your own power
supply and controller (just hook it up to the keyboard port),
and then you'll want an lcd display. firewire might be a problem to find
on a small board, and you probably won't want to cram a second card on the
board, but some boards do come with ethernet.

but why do you only suggest digital input? i'd rather have balanced xlr
jacks like that extremely expensive tascam dat recorder (and not that crap
sony one), and, of course, digital out.

> It seems it would put the portable DAT market out of business in a
> manner of days, so I can't for the life of me figure out why no one is
> making one.

i really doubt that. dat tapes are inexpensive and extremely portable,
independent of any expensive hardware. also, when you run out of tape,
you can put in a new one without needing a computer around (if you had a
computer around, you wouldn't need the device you want!).

wow, i don't know where all that came from. i'm just waiting for the
electronics store to open.

--
perl -e'@email=split(//,".tenmhd\@nosbud");foreach$letter(@email){$
email=$letter.$email;}$email=~s/(m|net\.)/a\1\1/g;print"$email\n";'