Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-user] Soundcard supporting several audio streams

Subject: Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-user] Soundcard supporting several audio streams
From: Dan Hollis (goemon_AT_anime.net)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 05:17:43 EET

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> > is there a (not too expensive) soundcard, that supports multiple output
> > streams natively (i.e. without the need for a sound server).
> > My card (Terratec XFire 1024) supports it under Windows, but not under
> > Linux, not even with the latest ALSA drivers.
> > I hate it when applications stall just because another is keeping the audio
> > device open.
> > regards, Stefan
> It is actually possible to use the .asoundrc file to set this up so alsa
> does it. Maybe it is about time we spammed the alsa-devel list and user
> list asking them to explain how to do this. In fact I will accidentally
> add them as a recipient.

This feature is more properly called multi-open, I think. At least, that's
what it's been called in the past, so far.

Trident 4dwave, Yamaha YMF7xx support multi-open in ALSA, even with
OSS emulation. I think EMU10k driver supports it as well.

XFire-1024 is CS4624 chip, I don't know if this specific alsa driver
supports multi-open. But if the HW support the feature and the specific
chip driver support the feature, then ALSA supports it too.

-Dan

--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]