Re: [linux-audio-user] [little OT]Why does this not exist?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [little OT]Why does this not exist?
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 08:17:12 EET

Jason wrote:

> I want a digital input because I have a portable DC A/D converter (that I
> spent way too much mney on) and so I don't need mic pres and a/d
> converters driving up the price.
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, dave willis wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Jason wrote:
> >
> > > I want a portable 3-5 gig hard disk with an AES/EBU or Spdif input
> > > that will let me write ID's in between chunks of raw PCM Data at any
> > > bit/sampling rate that's reasonable. I want a fire-wire port And I
> > > want it to cost less than five hundred dollars.
> >
> > [sounds like you're sitting in santa's lap (it's about that time, i
> > guess).]
> >
> > well, then, make one! remember that brit a few years ago that made a
> > small computer to hook up to his car stereo to play mp3s and published his
> > designs and software? well, people were too lazy and inept to make it
> > themselves, so they bugged him to make them, so he did, and now he's rich
> > off of this. hrm... maybe i should keep this to myself and get busy!

I'm interested in the possibility of making one of these beasts. I have
access to very cheap usb HDDs and other technology made in Korea. I also
know a few integrated circut design students who I have taught so they
would be able to help with the stuff that might be too tricky for me/us.

If you know how to do this or have a pretty good idea, lets discuss this
offline and see if we can do it. I live in Korea so have access to many
digital components at very cheap prices.

If we do manage to get something working I would be more than interested
in selling via Boost hardware. It would compliment my portable DAW very
well.

Linux embedded. I like it.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.