[linux-audio-user] Re: Soundcard supporting several audio streams

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: Soundcard supporting several audio streams
From: Stefan Schwandter (stefan.schwandter_AT_web.de)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 09:39:15 EET

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 07:17:43PM -0800, Dan Hollis wrote:

> > It is actually possible to use the .asoundrc file to set this up so alsa
> > does it. Maybe it is about time we spammed the alsa-devel list and user
> > list asking them to explain how to do this. In fact I will accidentally
> > add them as a recipient.

But the hardware/driver has to support it too, right? Or does ALSA have
a kind of built-in software mixer, that one can "awaken" by a correct
.asoundrc?

> This feature is more properly called multi-open, I think. At least, that's
> what it's been called in the past, so far.

> Trident 4dwave, Yamaha YMF7xx support multi-open in ALSA, even with
> OSS emulation. I think EMU10k driver supports it as well.

> XFire-1024 is CS4624 chip, I don't know if this specific alsa driver
> supports multi-open. But if the HW support the feature and the specific
> chip driver support the feature, then ALSA supports it too.

I found a message from Jaroslav Kysela where he explains that the cs46xx
driver can't support it because Crystal won't give out documentation
about the programming of the DSP (obviously the hardware does support
it, as it works under windows). I don't think that this situation has
changed yet.

Because this "multi-open" is an important feature IMO: is there a list
of ALSA-supported Soundcards whith this feature? The SOUNDCARDS file
doesn't mention it.

Or, to be specific, does the Audiophile 2496 support it?

regards, Stefan