Re: [linux-audio-user] Soundcard supporting several audio streams

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Soundcard supporting several audio streams
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 08:34:24 EET

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Stefan Schwandter wrote:

> is there a (not too expensive) soundcard, that supports multiple output
> streams natively (i.e. without the need for a sound server).
>
> I hate it when applications stall just because another is keeping the audio
> device open.

you don't need mutiple analog outputs, right? just a card that can mix
multiple streams together for the standard stereo out. i have a yamaha
ymf744b based card (i forgot who made it) that i paid $50 for last year
that can mix 32 streams under alsa. it works great as a consumer card,
though it seems to only like 48000 and 96000 rates when using it in
real-time with low-latency. also, the midi does not work on my card under
linux. but, for just general audio mutimedia use, it has great sound
quality. i have it installed as a second card in my system (my main one
is an m-audio delta, which is a nice pro card which only supports as many
streams as it has outputs for).

anyway, in my ~/.asoundrc to use my yamaha card (2nd card), i have simply:

pcm.card1 {
    type hw
    card 1
}

i can mix multiple streams just with using "aplay -D card1 <wavfile>."
no fancy configuration!

--
perl -e'@email=split(//,".tenmhd\@nosbud");foreach$letter(@email){$
email=$letter.$email;}$email=~s/(m|net\.)/a\1\1/g;print"$email\n";'