[linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: Soundcard supporting several audio streams

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: Soundcard supporting several audio streams
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 11:27:30 EET

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Stefan Schwandter wrote:

> Because this "multi-open" is an important feature IMO: is there a list
> of ALSA-supported Soundcards whith this feature? The SOUNDCARDS file
> doesn't mention it.
>
> Or, to be specific, does the Audiophile 2496 support it?

i have this card, and as i posted on lau, it does not support multi open.
but my ymf744b card does. if you "cat /proc/asound/card?/pcm?p/info" you
can see how many h/w playback streams you have by looking at
subdevices_count. subdevices_count = 1 on the audiophile (ice1712), and
32 on the main pcm of the ymf744b.

someone has the idea that alsa can mix streams if ~/.asoundrc is
configured in a certain way (oss has this feature), but that will
probably cause performance problems if even possible. and that doesn't
seem much different than artsd or esd, which is what i think you want to
avoid.

-dave

--
alsa: and you thought sendmail was confusing.