Re: [linux-audio-user] Soundcard supporting several audio streams

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Soundcard supporting several audio streams
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 11:41:06 EET

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Yes but you are still limited by the amount of streams that your card
> can support. there is supposed to be a way to use the .asoundrc to get
> around this. It is to do with using the pcm share option instead of pcm
> hw.

afaik, share is so you can split the outputs of one device, like a
10-channel card, when you don't want to use all 10 channels in one app
(nor in sync), yet you want to play/record different streams with
different programs and different channels at different start/stop points,
but at the same time. hw will lock up all 10 channels, even if you are
just doing stereo, and it may even cause problems with the software.

> This would allow all the people who for one reason or another (ie
> laptops cheap sound cards, m-audio delta, no specs released....) can't
> use hardware mixing to do it via the alsa-lib layer.
>
> I would rather know how to do this with .asoundrc than buy another card.

well, isn't this what artsd/esd/etc are for?

stefan originally wrote:
> is there a (not too expensive) soundcard, that supports multiple output
> streams natively (i.e. without the need for a sound server).

it seems that my response is appropriate to his question, though there may
me other options out there (hey, i don't know everything!).

-dave

--
perl -e'@email=split(//,".tenmhd\@nosbud");foreach$letter(@email){$
email=$letter.$email;}$email=~s/(m|net\.)/a\1\1/g;print"$email\n";'