Re: [linux-audio-user] playmidi problem

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] playmidi problem
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 16:37:21 EET

Josh Green wrote:

> Try iiwusynth (http://www.iiwu.org/iiwusynth/). It supports ALSA andsound fonts.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I tried some kludge hacking on playmidi
over the weekend, didn't really put much effort into it, but I could not
get it to work under ALSA.

Now to the point: playmidi routes to the external MIDI hardware
perfectly under OSS/Linux. So, I think I can safely state that ALSA's
OSS emulation is incomplete, yes ? That's disappointing, being so near
the 1.0 release. I have some concern for other legacy apps that require
/dev/sequencer.

OTOH, it may be that the OSS API regarding /dev/sequencer has changed
since playmidi 2.4 ? I'll try to spend a little more time on this
problem, because we currently do not have a solution for it. And we
should have a command-line MIDI file player that can send its output to
an external MIDI port.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net

Currently listening to: Harold Budd & Brian Eno, "Among Fields Of
Crystal"