Re: [linux-audio-user] playmidi problem

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] playmidi problem
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 12:55:19 EET

On Mon, 2001-11-12 at 01:41, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Dave Phillips hat gesagt: // Dave Phillips wrote:
>
> > So playmidi is probably goofed up somewhere, or ALSA's OSS emulation
> > is incomplete. Has anyone else noted this problem ? Manuel needs just a
> > command-line MIDI file player that will route to an external synth (so
> > TiMidity is out, I believe ?), and it seems a shame that there isn't
> > such a simple beast.
>
> Under alsa 0.9betaX playmidi also doesn't work. I have given up on this
> program, because I never found out, why it wouldn't work. [And now my
> Soundblaster live is broken, so I don't have the emu-synth anymore...bye
> midi;)]
>
> Ciao,
> --
> __ __
> Frank Barknecht ____ ______ ____ __ trip\ \ / /wire ______
> / __// __ /__/ __// // __ \ \/ / __ \\ ___\
> / / / ____/ / / / // ____// /\ \\ ___\\____ \
> /_/ /_____/ /_/ /_//_____// / \ \\_____\\_____\
> /_/ \_\

Arrgh.. As I was saying, before Mozilla crashed on me (now using
Evolution, why I wasn't before..) Anyways..

Try iiwusynth (http://www.iiwu.org/iiwusynth/). It supports ALSA and
sound fonts. In the not so distant future (I hope) it will be integrated
with Smurf, but for now editing sound fonts is not such a pleasant
experience without an AWE/Live card. Sequencing them should be no
problem though. Just fire up iiwusynth with ALSA sequencer support and
you can manually connect a sequencer or virtual keyboard (like the Smurf
virtual keyboard) with aconnect ("man aconnect" for info). I haven't
tried it with the latest 0.9.0 but if you have troubles with it let me
know (I wrote the ALSA sequencer driver for it). I think MuSE has
support for directly using iiwusynth, so its probably worth a try.
Lates..

--
    Josh Green
    Smurf Sound Font Editor (http://smurf.sourceforge.net)