Re: [linux-audio-user] finale 2000 on wine

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] finale 2000 on wine
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 20:04:23 EET

Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> I don't understand why they don't make their programs
> in java. They would not have to worry about making a
> mac and win then porting it to others. Just making it
> java would allow it to work on any OS that can run
> java wouldn't it. Why not kill all birds with one
> stone?

don't want to start a programming language flamewar here, but for
anything that's remotely computationally intensive, java plain
doesn't cut it. all hail to little java applets, beans,
whatchamaycallit, but such a huge program ?
no thanks.

i have been trying forte for java, an IDE written in java itself.
it's PATHETICALLY slow and minimum system requirements were
something like 833mhz p3 and 256 megs ram, and that was last spring.
in my belief a musical typesetting program is several orders of
magnitude more complex, both rendering-wise and in terms of
background computation.

i have implemented some basic algorithms both in c and java (not
using the oo features of java) as a part of my cs studies, and
seeing the memory footprints and running speed in direct comparison
really settled the java issue for me :-D

java fans, please flame me off-list.

asbestos greetings,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany