Re: [linux-audio-user] recording guitar interfacing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] recording guitar interfacing
From: Tobias Ulbricht (up5a_AT_stud.uni-karlsruhe.de)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 17:09:00 EET

Hi Paul.
(and the others, of course)

> Newbies to computer recording, eh?

<snip very explanatory crash course about mics and mixers>

Whow!
Thanks a lot!

Now I got the point.
But one more question:

> But most of the better condenser mics require power to be provided
> by the preamp. If the mic requires phantom power, it's probably
> marked on the mic somewhere. This is called "phantom power" and
> it's usually 48V DC. These mics cannot be connected directly to
> your soundcard. You'll need a mixer or a standalone mic preamp
                                  ^^^^^^

So any mixer that provides these "mic" inputs (usually they are, say track
7 and 8 of the 8-track-mixer??) provides the 48V DC current?
And still I could use these plugs for, say recording another two guitars
(on top of the other 6 guitars on the remaining :) savely? Meaning the
"phantom power" doesn't do any harm to any other audio source....?

Hj]rtligt och tusen tack. (trying to improve my swedish, you know)

Tobias.