Re: [linux-audio-user] recording guitar interfacing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] recording guitar interfacing
From: paul kelly (paul_AT_pksings.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 04:15:48 EET

Hmm, you can connect it to the sound card with either of those. Will you
get an acceptably "clean" sound? Well, sounds like you need to try it
and see. Getting the computer to "hear" the sound is the easy part,
deciding what programming to use to record and manipulate it is another
and widely varying quest.

The gist of what I have read is that you need some kind of mixer to
allow "matching" of signal levels and inputs. And/or to provide the
ability to use microphones instead of direct inputs. Defininetly if you
want to use a "phantom powered" or 48volt microphone. It also is much
easier to change connections to a mixer than to the back of the
computer, so the convenience of using a mixer is more than worth it by
itself. The mixer brand and type will probably vary by individual user
and whatever you have. I didn't like what I had so I searched for better
and found it on the used market.

As for spending a "couple of hundred" on a mixer, well, I recently
bought a Samson 1502 for $60 US, and a Behringer Eurorack, can't
remember the model, for $100 US. on the used market. Both are
super-clean and in perfect working condition. So you don't have to spend
that much to get a good clean mixer. You just have know what you are
buying and how much you want to spend. Right now it seems all the Music
stores are hurting so they have really good "sales" on.