[linux-audio-user] CMN or Lilypond? Music Notation software and tools?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] CMN or Lilypond? Music Notation software and tools?
From: Jeremiah Benham (jjbenham_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 07:01:07 EET

I am interested in learning a music notation program
for linux. I have been doing a great deal of reading.
 I feel kind of overtaken by all of my choices. I was
wondering if CMN has a way to import or export
standard midi files. I read there there is
experimental implementation in lilypond. I know that
Rosegarden will import and export these and be able to
export csound .sco and many other formats like latex.
From what it sounds rosegarden sounds like a great
start. I was wondering if I could then export this as
a standard midi file and either input it into CMN or
lilypond. If this is not directly supported under CMN
or Lilypond is there any tools to convert midi to a
CMN or lilypond notation. If there is not would it be
difficult to create some sort of script file to do the
conversion? I am impressed by lilypond and CMN ability
to use text files to create input. I believe that it
would be easier to have to do a few revisions to a
converted midi file to correct for things that where
either not converted correctly or to finalizing edits.
I infered that this code is actually easier than
fumbling around with some gui that has all these
features that are hidden behind strange symbals in
vague menus. You can probably tell I use to use
finale!

Sorry so long
Thanks,
Jeremiah