[linux-audio-user] USB Midi and Latency

Subject: [linux-audio-user] USB Midi and Latency
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 09:34:03 EET

Hi People,

Is anyone out there using USB Midi for real music; driving multiple
midi modules/synths and a couple of inputs?

I'm looking to get a USB Midi interface but I'm a bit concerned about
latency issues. I found a couple of articles on the net :

    http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/lola/usbkills.htm
    http://www.digitalprosound.com/2001/01_jan/features/midi2001-3.htm

which suggest that latency may be a problem. Of course the problems
mentioned in these two articles may be due to poorly implemented windows
and mac drivers. The linux drivers shouldn't have these problems and are
easier to fix even if they do :-).

Can anybody shed any light here?

Cheers,
Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
The mouse has been moved. Windows must be restarted for the change
to take effect. Reboot now?