Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux
From: Chris Majewski (majewski_AT_cs.ubc.ca)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 06:07:53 EET

Daniel James <daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com> writes:

> > Speaking of quiet, I've found a way to make my generic PC nearly
> > silent
>
> Give us the details! I've been looking at the stuff from
> http://www.quietpc.com - including silent power supplies.

Power supply: find a +5 V terminal inside the P/S (<disclaimer>
careful! the voltage can kill you!</disclaimer>) and wire the fan's
ground to it (make sure your fan has a plastic, not metal,
enclosure). The fan now runs at 7V instead of 12V. You can also buy
aftermarket "quiet" power supplies, but they are expensive.

CPU fan: get a variable-speed kit if you can. Otherwise, repeat the
P/S trick for the CPU fan. You can also buy aftermarket "quieter" CPU
coolers.

Hard drive: I bought a new Fujitsu 20GB drive (a couple months ago now). It's
not one of the 7200 RPM ones. It's damn quiet, compared to the Western
Digital 10GB that I bought a year and a half ago.

Finally, use apm to suspend your machine when not in use. This shuts
down the CPU and spins down its fan. Enabling DPMS on your display
will power down the monitor as well (my CRT is a bit noisy).

When kernel support for ACPI comes (some day), use that instead of APM.

-chris