Re: [linux-audio-user] Brahms/SB Live/Mandrake 8.1

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Brahms/SB Live/Mandrake 8.1
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 02:32:01 EET

Josh Green wrote:

> You are right about there being a lack of documentation in this area.
> This is how I know how to get ALSA installed, if anyone has shortcuts
> (especially in the area of the modules.conf config) please let me know.

I skip configuring modules.conf for ALSA altogether. I need to quickly
switch between OSS/Linux and ALSA so I simply run this script (I've
named it alsa.prep) as root after booting:

  # script to initialize ALSA drivers, set mixer elements, and load
soundfont

  echo "Starting ALSA for SBLive..."
  /sbin/modprobe snd-card-emu10k1
  /sbin/modprobe snd-seq-midi
  /sbin/modprobe snd-synth-emu10k1
  /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss
  /sbin/modprobe snd-seq-oss
  amixer set Master 25 unmute
  amixer set PCM 25 unmute
  amixer set Line 25 unmute capture
  amixer set CD 25 unmute
  echo "Loading soundfont..."
  sfxload /home/dlphilp/sfonts/8mbgmsfx.sf2
  echo "Soundfont loaded..."
  echo "ALSA Preparation Completed..."

If I need to unload all of that I run this script (named alsa.remove),
again as root:

  /sbin/modprobe -r snd-card-emu10k1; /sbin/modprobe -r
snd-card-ens1370; /sbin/modprobe -r snd-seq-midi; /sbin/modprobe -r
snd-synth-emu10k1; /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe -r
snd-seq-oss; /sbin/modprobe -r snd-seq-midi

Note that if someone else decides to use thes scripts they need to be
chmod'd first. You'll need to be root again to do it:

        chmod +x alsa.prep
        chmod +x alsa.remove

Works for me...

Best regards,