Re: [linux-audio-user] Brahms/SB Live/Mandrake 8.1

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Brahms/SB Live/Mandrake 8.1
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 01:30:55 EET

On Wed, 2001-12-12 at 14:41, Ola Andersson wrote:
> Quite strange. Some sound apps seem to work (i.e output sound), others dont.
> MuSE 0.4.14 didnt work. xmms works. None of these uses arts. I am using OSS
> and arts.
>
> How do I set up ALSA? I have looked all over. There is a program on the web
> called alsaconf, but not for Mandrake and only version 0.4 something. I have
> alsa 0.5.10 installed (but not running). Do I manully have to write script
> files etc to set up ALSA (hope not) ? The documentation on alsas homepage is
> no help for users trying to set it up.
>
> /Ola A

For ALSA I think you probably want to get the latest 0.9.0beta release
(thats what I have been using for some time now) and I also have an SB
Live.
1. Download the alsa-driver, alsa-lib, and alsa-util bzip packages and
extract them somewhere (~/src is what I use for all source code).

2. Run "./configure --with-cards=emu10k1" in the
alsa-driver-0.9.0beta(NN) directory to configure sources for only
compiling EMU10k driver (shortens compile time).

3. Run "make" then become root (if not all ready, you really shouldn't
be :) and "make install".

4. Run "./configure", "make", and "make install" (once again as root)
for the alsa-lib and alsa-utils directories.

5. Set up your modules.conf with the new entries for ALSA driver. Here
is where I find ALSA somewhat on the user unfriendly side of things.
I've tried using alsaconf before but got fairly messed up configurations
in modules.conf. So I'll put the relevant modules.conf options here:

# --- modules.conf stuff ---

# ALSA specific settings
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1

alias sound snd-card-0
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-emu10k1
alias snd-synth-midi snd-seq-midi

options snd-card-emu10k1 snd_index=0 snd_id="EMU" snd_enable=1
options snd-pcm-oss snd_nonblock_open=1

# OSS/Free emulation
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

# --- end modules.conf stuff ---

So back up your modules.conf and add all those lines between # ---'s to
your modules.conf. And remove the OSS related settings (probably "alias
sound emu10k1" or something).

6. do "modprobe sound" as root to load the modules. This will also be
done by Mandrake on boot.

You are right about there being a lack of documentation in this area.
This is how I know how to get ALSA installed, if anyone has shortcuts
(especially in the area of the modules.conf config) please let me know.

--
    Josh Green
    Smurf Sound Font Editor (http://smurf.sourceforge.net)