Re: [linux-audio-user] portable recording device

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] portable recording device
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 00:47:20 EET

On Wed, 2001-12-12 at 11:56, Ben Saylor wrote:
> This doesn't pertain directly to Linux; hope it's not too offtopic..
>
> I'd like to get some kind of small, portable recording device which I'd
> use mostly for capturing environmental sounds in various places to use
> in music, hopefully even making binaural recordings. It should have
> decent fidelity (especially low noise), have a capacity of more than,
> say, 30 minutes, stereo, and allow connection of external microphones.
> Digital transfer of the recording to a computer is not essential -
> analog transfer is acceptable.
>
> So far, a minidisc recorder seems to be the main option. Can anyone
> comment on the sound quality of these - both the encoding format and
> ADC/DAC? Which brands are good? Are there any other viable options?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

I'm currently dreaming of getting an Archos (http://www.archos.com) MP3
JukeBox recorder. It has a 6GB hard disk and acts like a generic USB
removable drive. It works with Linux BTW. It records to MP3 30-320kbps.
You can also transfer arbitrary files to it for use as a portable hard
disk.

Perhaps thats overkill for you though?

--
    Josh Green