[linux-audio-user] portable recording device

Subject: [linux-audio-user] portable recording device
From: Ben Saylor (bsaylor_AT_macalester.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 21:56:17 EET

This doesn't pertain directly to Linux; hope it's not too offtopic..

I'd like to get some kind of small, portable recording device which I'd
use mostly for capturing environmental sounds in various places to use
in music, hopefully even making binaural recordings. It should have
decent fidelity (especially low noise), have a capacity of more than,
say, 30 minutes, stereo, and allow connection of external microphones.
Digital transfer of the recording to a computer is not essential -
analog transfer is acceptable.

So far, a minidisc recorder seems to be the main option. Can anyone
comment on the sound quality of these - both the encoding format and
ADC/DAC? Which brands are good? Are there any other viable options?

Thanks,
Ben