Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] interesting installation problem

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] interesting installation problem
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 22:40:26 EET

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 08:42:17PM -0500, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
(snip)
> ... Try running memtest86
> overnight and see if it kills his box.

I highly recommend doing this on *any* linux box you depend on.
I've been bitten by bad hardware before. It is *not* fun.

I also recommend using badblocks -w to test your swap
partition(s). (Of course, turn off swap first: swapoff -a) Problem: If
you find bad blocks there, I'm not sure if anything can be done,
except to avoid using that partition for swap. :(
With ext2 filesystems, you can use the e2fsck -l option to add the bad
blocks to the list of blocks to ignore, but AFAIKT there's no
equivalent workaround for bad blocks on a swap partition.

There's nothing like having your system crash in wonderfully
destructive ways when you do something memory-intensive... it's hard
to predict, hard to repeat, and truly maddening until you realize it's
a hardware problem.

--

paul winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com music: http://www.reacharms.com calendars: http://www.calendargalaxy.com