[linux-audio-user] [OT] interesting installation problem

Subject: [linux-audio-user] [OT] interesting installation problem
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 22:09:50 EET

Greetings:

  I'm trying to help a friend set up his first Linux system, and I've
run into a problem I haven't seen before.

  The machine is a Gateway Reman BTO K7 950 Oxnard (according to
Gateway's spec sheet). It has a TNT2 video chipset, an SBLive Platinum
soundcard, and 128 megs RAM. It was previously configured for Windoze
ME. My friend attempted to install Mandrake 7.2 by himself, but soon
gave up.

  So far I have gone through the entire installation routines for RedHat
6.2, Mandrake 7.2, and Mandrake 8.0. Each time the install goes
flawlessly, and each time the reboot fails in some unique manner. After
installing Red Hat the reboot takes me as far as the login prompt, but
after entering the user name it cycles back to the login (i.e., it never
gets to the password prompt). After installing Mandrake 7.2 the reboot
goes into an endless loop of rebooting. A cryptic "stage 1 stage 2 line
127 failed" message is all I see for an error dialog, and Deja news
contained only a single post regarding that error. Alas, the poster was
a newbie and could not tell me how he eventually resolved the problem. I
found nothing on Mandrake's site regarding such an error. Mandrake 8.0
simply dies on reboot, stalling with a kernel panic.

  I've checked the system BIOS, nothing looks amiss there, but I'm truly
stuck. My next step, barring any other information from this group, will
be to reformat the hard drive and start all over again. I seem to recall
reading that NT/ME systems are extremely hostile to other OS's sharing a
drive, but I'm not trying to do that. My friend wants the machine to be
Linux-only, non-networked, and optimized for Linux sound and music
software.

  My apologies for posting a message that should really go to
comp.os.linux.setup, but my DSL provider's newsgroups are down (and have
been since Sept 11) and I can't seem to post to the free groups.

  So, has anyone experienced/resolved a similar problem ? Any and all
assistance will be vastly apreciated !

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net

Currently listening to: Ravi Shankar, "Prabhujee"