Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] interesting installation problem

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] interesting installation problem
From: Dave Price (davep_AT_kinaole.org)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 22:41:01 EET

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 03:09:50PM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:

<snip>

> So far I have gone through the entire installation routines for RedHat
> 6.2, Mandrake 7.2, and Mandrake 8.0. Each time the install goes
> flawlessly, and each time the reboot fails in some unique manner. After
> installing Red Hat the reboot takes me as far as the login prompt, but
> after entering the user name it cycles back to the login (i.e., it never
> gets to the password prompt). After installing Mandrake 7.2 the reboot
> goes into an endless loop of rebooting. A cryptic "stage 1 stage 2 line
> 127 failed" message is all I see for an error dialog, and Deja news
> contained only a single post regarding that error. Alas, the poster was
> a newbie and could not tell me how he eventually resolved the problem. I
> found nothing on Mandrake's site regarding such an error. Mandrake 8.0
> simply dies on reboot, stalling with a kernel panic.
>
> I've checked the system BIOS, nothing looks amiss there, but I'm truly
> stuck. My next step, barring any other information from this group, will
> be to reformat the hard drive and start all over again. I seem to recall
> reading that NT/ME systems are extremely hostile to other OS's sharing a
> drive, but I'm not trying to do that. My friend wants the machine to be
> Linux-only, non-networked, and optimized for Linux sound and music
> software.

Have you tried making a boot diskette and using that? ... it could be a
drive geometrty issue that lilo is choking on. Boot diskettes work
around this. If so, you may need a tiny /boot partition, or lok at GRUB
(a lilo alternative that has less limitations. You can test GRUB form a
diskette too.

aloha (and HTH),
dave