[linux-audio-user] Re: [OT] interesting installation problem

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: [OT] interesting installation problem
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 01:53:27 EET

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 11:43:56PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> mkswap has the -c option, which will do a read check of
> each swap page, and keep a map of bad ones.

D'oh! Don't know how I missed that. Thanks!

> Verily. I find that even 24hours of memtest86 isnt
> enough. My simple test for a new box is something like:
> (this tends to stress the basic systems.)
>
> while (make dep && make clean && make bzImage ) ; do
> echo built >> /tmp/log
> done
>
> I have sticks that pass the memtest86, but fail the
> endless kernel build. (for big memory boxes, several of these at
> once might be required.)

Interesting! I was assuming that memtest86 was *more* thorough than
the old massive kernel build test. Guess I'll keep that one in my
arsenal a while longer.

--

paul winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com music: http://www.reacharms.com calendars: http://www.calendargalaxy.com