Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA & OSS mutually exclusive?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA & OSS mutually exclusive?
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 07:54:21 EET

author wrote:

> Are ALSA and OSS installation mutually exclusive?
> I have OSS now. If I install ALSA, will it interfere with
> OSS? I don't want to make things worse then they are.
> I'm installing esasound and it seems to ask for both.
> I have Red Hat 7.1 and a Creative Sound Blaster Live
> sound card.

If you compile the oss drivers in the kernel as modules then ou can
swithch between alsa and oss. But alsa also has an oss emulation layer
so any programs that require oss drivers will still function with alsa.
The main reason for having two sets is if one set doesn't support your
card as much as the other.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com - For the discerning hardware connoisseur.