Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA & OSS mutually exclusive?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA & OSS mutually exclusive?
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 09:32:56 EET

author wrote:

> Are ALSA and OSS installation mutually exclusive?

no. when you compile them as modules, you can switch without
rebooting. however, this requires some understanding of how modules
work and is a bit of a hassle. nobody really does this except in
very rare cases.

> I have OSS now. If I install ALSA, will it interfere with
> OSS? I don't want to make things worse then they are.

ALSA can emulate OSS, i.e. it has a compatibility layer that will
look just like OSS to programs that require it. the emulation is
quite good and has worked well for me.

> I'm installing esasound and it seems to ask for both.

that is a misunderstanding. ecasound supports both, but needs only
one.

> I have Red Hat 7.1 and a Creative Sound Blaster Live
> sound card.

i'm using alsa, and the sb live support is ok, except for some
glitches in full-duplex mode.

good luck !

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany