Re: sd2 to wav was Re: [linux-audio-user] SF2 to .wav?

Subject: Re: sd2 to wav was Re: [linux-audio-user] SF2 to .wav?
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 21:10:05 EET

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:45:57 +0000
iriXx <irixx_AT_irixx.org> wrote:

> hi,
> i just noticed this discussion... reminded me of something i've been
> looking for for a while...
> i'm trying to find an app that will allow me to convert from the Mac sd2
> (Sound Designer II) format into, well, anything else readable really...
> linux has by far the most format conversion tools, but as yet i havent
> managed to find anything that will convert sd2s for use on a PC.
> any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated :o)))

Hey there,

I'm currently looking at SD2 support for libsndfile
( http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/libsndfile/ ) and all I can say is ouch :-).

Part of the problem is that I don't have access to a Mac and all of these
weird Macisms that I'm having touble grokking. The main problem with SD2
is that all the header information is kept in the resource fork of the file
while the data fork contains nothing but the PCM samples. This can be fixed
by exporting the SD2 file as a binhex file (I think thats the right terminology)
which concatenates a weird header, the data fork and the resource fork as a
single unix style file.

I've got something working but I'm not confident about releasing it as I haven't
done enough testing yet. I also want to go both ways (ie do wav->sd2) but have no
way of testing if my output file is accepted by the Mac.

Interested in helping me get this working? Contact me off list at
erikd_AT_mega-nerd.com .

Cheers,
Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"He who writes the code gets to choose his license, and nobody
else gets to complain" -- Linus Torvalds