Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice needed on future home studio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice needed on future home studio
From: Mark Constable (markc_AT_renta.net)
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 10:09:02 EET

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 23:26, root wrote:
> THis kind of studio setup will be fine. I use MIDIMAN cards under
> Mandrake 8.0, but I think that Suse 7.3 will be fine too.
> There is a plenty of software for audio on
> www.linuxartist.org and you can experiment and choose your favorite.

You've assured this guy that he may not have problems
with Mandrake 8.0 and ALSA... great, but you've also
highlighted an ongoing problem... and dumped the solution
back in his lap. I'm pretty sure he was asking for opinions
about the _quality_ of various software packages available
and simply to suggest "try em all out" is not such a good
idea. He's welcome to but it's an onorous and rather huge
task to evaluate each (and every!) package to figure what
is crud, and daresay what even works at all, and what is
actually useful.

What would be excellent is some site/system where there were
not just links (BTN) to each package but an ongoing wiki/weblog
page for each package that could contain reviews and opinions
by users of such packages. Maybe even a cheesy rating system
to act as a guide to the more worthy packages.

Does such a beast already exist out there somewhere ?

--markc