Re: [linux-audio-user] Software rating site

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Software rating site
From: Mark Constable (markc_AT_renta.net)
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 01:28:59 EET

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001 02:05, John Thaden wrote:
> I don't know what a wiki page is, but as for sites that rate software,

An example of a Wiki and a reasonable article as well. The basic
point is that _anybody_ can edit that page and contribute content.

http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki.fcgi?action=browse&id=Mathematics_of_the_Western_music_scale

> there are places like http://download.cnet.com and
> http://shareware.com. Linux audio users do't have to reinvent the wheel

That's a second rate possibility if nothing else is better but
using dotcoms for popularizing F&OS software is a bit distasteful.

> here. How about a site like http://linuxartist.org that includes links to

Much better... it's not only a dotorg but it's manner and
approach is far more acceptable and the fact that it's using
phpNuke as a presentation platform makes some kind of addon
module a possibility.

> the appropriate ratings page of download.com for the software packages in
> question? A question though -- How to make sure the software we have
> interest in are listed by download.com in the first place?

Well for a start, the suggestion does not even get off the
ground with me as I'd rather see any effort put into an
independant dotorg. Your suggestion is doable but I'd rather
see a "reinvented wheel" after looking at the links you provided.

--markc