Re: [linux-audio-user] Soft synths with ALSA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Soft synths with ALSA
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 02:40:16 EET

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 01:45:20PM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> But if you have PD (Pure Data) installed, you can test MIDI input easily.
> PD comes with a test patch, that is opend under the "Help" menu. There you
> can see events (notes, controllers) that come through any (also the
> ALSA-emulated) OSS-rawmidi devices, that are configured for PD to use. For
> example, to use /dev/midi21 as input device, one has to start PD with
> "pd -midiindev 22" (the math here is: 21 = 22 - 1)

Aha... pd is complaining that it can't open /dev/midiX no matter what
I use for x. I'm guessing this is purely an alsa problem, I'm going to
take it to alsa-user...

> There is only one "raw midi" device here, but you have two soundcards.
> Maybe you connected the keyboard to the wrong midi input? Just guessing.

Good guess, but one card is an m-audio delta card with no midi device.

Thanks for the help,

PW

--

paul winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com music: http://www.reacharms.com calendars: http://www.calendargalaxy.com