Re: [linux-audio-user] Soft synths with ALSA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Soft synths with ALSA
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 14:45:20 EET

Hi Paul,
no answer yet, so I give it a try ;)
Paul Winkler hat gesagt: // Paul Winkler wrote:

> I've finally got a recent (cvs) version of Alsa to compile and run
> with my shiny new Delta 66 and moldy old CS-4237 card. Mostly things
> are working pretty well, but I can't seem to get MIDI input to any
> oss-compatible app that expects it.
>
> Midi output seems to be OK... playmidi -f works, I can hear the cruddy
> old FM synth.
>
> So, has anyone got any of the following working with midi control
> under ALSA 0.9x?
>
> SpiralSynth
> SpiralSynthModular
> XSynth
> RTSynth

Unfortunatly I don't use any of these...

> I would think any of them should work fine, using oss emulation for
> raw midi input, but it's not happening... I just don't seem to be
> getting any events from the keyboard.

...and I don't even have external midi gear yet :(

> I guess the first step would be: What's the simplest way to test if
> you've got anything coming in from the midi controller?

But if you have PD (Pure Data) installed, you can test MIDI input easily.
PD comes with a test patch, that is opend under the "Help" menu. There you
can see events (notes, controllers) that come through any (also the
ALSA-emulated) OSS-rawmidi devices, that are configured for PD to use. For
example, to use /dev/midi21 as input device, one has to start PD with
"pd -midiindev 22" (the math here is: 21 = 22 - 1)

> Oh yeah, I did check in /proc/asound/oss-devices, it looks fine to me:
>
> $ cat /proc/asound/oss-devices
> 0: [0- 0]: mixer
> 3: [0- 3]: digital audio
> 18: [1- 2]: raw midi
> 26: [1-10]: hardware dependent
> 16: [1- 0]: mixer
> 19: [1- 3]: digital audio

There is only one "raw midi" device here, but you have two soundcards.
Maybe you connected the keyboard to the wrong midi input? Just guessing.

bye,

--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______