Re: [linux-audio-user] Laptop Audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Laptop Audio
From: Mark Constable (markc_AT_renta.net)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 13:19:59 EET

Some people could use laptops for live stage work and in
field recording so in these situations, if one is really
serious about it, then RMEs new HDSP CardBus setup could
be excellent... not cheap though...

 http://www.rme-audio.com/english/index.htm

And click on Hammerfall DSP. This hardware could seriously
rock and even has MacOS driver support (G4 without OSX) and
I believe Paul Davis will be working on the ALSA based linux
driver.

Reccomended retail price in Australia is (1/2 this for USD)

Multiface with PCMCIA $2695.00
Multiface with PCI $2695.00

PCMCIA Card Only $ 795.00
PCI Card Only $ 795.00

Hail RME for taking linux seriously and I hope Paul gets one
RSN, and I've converted the crappy PDF manual to plain text
if anyone wants it (had to, couldn't read the small font).

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 00:53, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> I don't think laptops are that great for doing much audio stuff no matter
> what os you run. You will have to get a usb midi device if you want to use

See above... 1394 hardware connection but their own protocol.

> I would say get any with supported a supported audio card. Internal midi
> is really not that great on any sound card. They get borring and they are
> normally cheesy anyway. I guess your best bet then would be to look into
> external usb audio devices.

> On Tuesday 01 January 2002 12:04 pm, you wrote:
> > Can anyone point me to where I can find info on alsa support for
> > laptops? I get to buy a new laptop for work and would like to have alsa
> > support. Any reccomendations or should I go with a usb midi/audio card?
> > Thanks,

--markc