Re: [linux-audio-user] Introduction

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Introduction
From: Jeremiah Benham (jjbenham_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 18:03:22 EET

On Sunday 13 January 2002 08:59 am, you wrote:
> This sounds like the kind of specific experience reporting I had hoped
> to see more of on this list. It can take literally months to sort
> through the unfinished, unstable, or obsolete and long abandoned
> projects to find the ones that are ready to be treated as reliable
> tools. And it can be very frustating when you know that many others
> must have already made the same journey.

If you want to know what are favorite apps are just ask. You can go to:
http://sound.condorow.net
and click on DLP's choice to find his favorites. You should also buy his
book.

> What about specific sound card / other hardware / driver (version, ALSA
> or other) / kernel (version, patches) that people on this list have
> used to record & edit music?

You making it sound to confusing. I just installed alsa. You will probably
need help with it. I would suggest getting on the alsa mailing list and also
asking us for advice on your paticular sound card.

At the momement I'm most interested in a
> reliable, cheap set-up for recording, over-dubbing, and mixing a modest
> number of audio and MIDI tracks.

Muse, and ardour our good for that. I have not used ardour. I think it
requires a multichannel souncard like a midiman or a hammerfall card. If it
does not I must have done something wtong. It is for multichannel
simultaneous recording. If you choose Muse I would go with .4.14 and not any
of the recent versions. You can also try the CVS version.

Recording one or 2 tracks at a time is
> sufficient, but I really need reliable, well-synchronized full duplex
> operation. Am I asking too much? I've tried a creative SB live with
> ALSA 0.5.10+SuSE patches and maybe that will be OK for a while if I can
> find an application that works

(Broadcast 2000, doesn't, quite, and
> beside its author seems to have gone insane or something).

He lost his job. He can't support his coding habits. There is also a
commercial version of bcast comming out soon. He also fears a lawsuit.

I tried a
> Turtle Beach Santa Cruz but full duplex doesn't seem to work, never
> mind all the whizbang features hyped on the box! Maybe I should spend
> some semi-real money and get some MidiMan / M-Audio gear? Maybe I
> should head back to windoze land for another year or 2 and hope that
> somebody decides to REALLY support Linux with a sound card?

> > Ardour is missing here, as I don't have any need for it yet. But
> > otherwise this list completely lists what I intend to use for making
> > (open source) music.

Why aren't you trying ardour than? If you have some strong commercial needs
check out:
http://linuxmediaarts.com/

Jeremiah