Re: [linux-audio-user] Synthesizer programming

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Synthesizer programming
From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky ("M.)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 22:07:07 EET

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> I think, Remco meant to get some advice on information or books that
> help with learning to program nice sounds with a synthesizer, be it a
> hardware one or a software synth like in your list. In fact, I am also
> continuosly looking for such information on sound design and such. I
> have the Csound book, that explains some of this, but I switched from
> Csound to PD, so I am looking for something more general. I thought of
> buying either "Computer Music" by Dodge or "The Computer Music
> Tutorial" by Roads. Which one's better?

I have the Dodge and recommend it highly. I can't see any reason not to
have both, though -- most serious computer musicians have all the books
they can get their hands on :).

While we're on the subject of books, another one I recommend highly is
Cope's "Techniques of the Contemporary Composer". I have his algorithmic
composition books as well, but unless you have a Mac the CDs that come
with them are more or less useless.

--
M. Edward Borasky
znmeb_AT_borasky-research.net

The COUGAR Project http://www.borasky-research.com/Cougar.htm

Stand-up comedy -- because man does not live by dread alone.