Sync'ing midi and audio (was RE: [linux-audio-user] Introduction)

Subject: Sync'ing midi and audio (was RE: [linux-audio-user] Introduction)
From: Stuart Allie (Stuart.Allie_AT_hydro.com.au)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 23:42:47 EET

I have started collecting various apps and thinking about how to combine
them so I could have midi sequenced tracks combined with recorded audio. My
current plan of attack is very similar to Kai's, maybe using timidity or
iiwusynth as a midi-renderer. The weak point in the plan, as Kai points out,
is synchronizing midi sources with the recorded audio. I believe that
Guenther's xgmc does this to some extent, but I haven't looked at that yet.

So, does anybody have any suggestions, or references, as to how to go about
making timidity or iiwusynth render audio in a synchronized fashion? (Sync'd
with ecasound or whatever.)

Cheers,
Stuart

Dr Stuart Allie