Active Productive Musician Re: [linux-audio-user] Introduction

Subject: Active Productive Musician Re: [linux-audio-user] Introduction
From: Gary Counsellor (sineigs_AT_eskimo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 03:07:03 EET

On Monday 14 January 2002 15:21, you wrote:

> True, true. This is very hard topic to talk about without offending
> someone or turning the whole discussion into a flamewar. I agree that
> using strange gear won't necessarily make you a creative/good musician,
> and the other way, being a creative/good musician does not require you to
> use any special tools.

Agreed ! whole heartedly!

> But most of you probably would admit that tools you use to make music do
> affect the creative process.
Undoubtably!
 Try making a song with a) acoustic guitar, b)
> tb303, c) csound ... if nothing else, it's always inspiring to change the
> way you work. And again, not by any means necessary, just a possibility.
>
> And my personal experience has been that active (avoiding words good,
> creative, etc) musicians tend to be resourceful, and come up with all
> kinds of new ways to do stuff. Now it's a different question whether their
> music is good or not, but at least they produce a lot of it. :) And this
> is what suprises me. There's so many people out there willing to spend
> lots and lots time with their guitar (or whatever the instrument) sounds,
> but few seem interested in the vast possibilities Linux offers for
> everyone ... and for free.

Alas, Linux....Keyboards.....Computers.....Synths.......Guitars..... Are not
for everybody.

> Maybe it's the technical difficulty, possibly the user-interfaces, etc,
> etc...

Some folks don't have the time/patience/ability to learn ANY instrument,
interface, protocol, and they still insist upon creating and expressing
themselves.

>In any case it's an interesting issue. Who knows, maybe the next
> hit audio product that all studios must have is a linux app.

that would be "koolness" I've been 'playing' with Linux for about 5 years,
helping here or their (testing, documentation, some programing), waiting,
using windows professionally, using Macs professionally, I do this music
thing full time and many of my clients do not care what OS they just want to
hear how good they sound

I have found almost as many reasons to create music as their are people doing
it. Some want to get their point across, some don't have a point (ya know,
like... it just sounds soooo coool) some have really strange points....,
some want to get their point acrossed with words and the music is so
inconsequential that it's only reason for being is to gather somebodys
attention (or it allows them to recite their poetry at open mike nights as
long as they use an instrument) Hmmm can't sing, rudimentary guitar skills,
sure sounds like Dylan ;-). Some paint moods, no points, with music only.
Others just want to see what else they can get a sine wave to do and they
publish their results. Others do not wish to express themselves at all (as
some would see it) but desire only to respond to the 'next happy accident',
seeing how many happy accidents they can get to 'work together, or Jamming
with 'this really neat sound' they accidently created.

I LIKE IT ALL (well ok, maybe not Britney or Yanni, I too, am only human)

Personally I love the Body Controllers they've been experimenting with in
some stage shows. Their point may be more visibly appearent than audibly
appearent, but I'd love to experience what it would be like to be THAT
totally immersed in a instrument (24 hours a day, 7 days a week for about a
month (screaming meemies time) As in any medium, the more 'intimate' or
familiar you are with your instrument, the easier it is to express yourself.

I have to admit, I am one of the "lets try something different just to see
where it takes me" I'm sure, eventually, I'll use I Ching sticks in
combination with fractal chord generation.......

I believe the neatest thing about this world is that it seems, to me at
least, to still be enough room for all of us and our ideas and with the net
I'll be able to find that one person whose been looking for just the right
trigger for his fractal chord generator, and I'll be here with my sticks.

More power to all of us!
PS Kai, I liked that earliest of your works you had posted on your site, '98
I think it was, Haven't had the time to do much more than that (and create
mamoth newgroup posts 8^O Was that a guitar I heard playing in and around
the swooshing?

--
Gary Counsellor http://www.musician2000.com
sineigs.all.attitudes_AT_eskimo.com

In 1977, there were 37 Elvis impersonators in the world. In 1993, there were 48,000. At this rate, by the year 2010 one out of every three people will be an Elvis impersonator. (Source: N/A)