3 SAOL questions, was Re: [linux-audio-user] What's up with SAOL?

Subject: 3 SAOL questions, was Re: [linux-audio-user] What's up with SAOL?
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 01:09:22 EET

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 02:25:13PM -0800, John Lazzaro wrote:
> > http://sound.media.mit.edu/mpeg4
>
> Try:
>
> http://web.media.mit.edu/~eds/mpeg4/

Aha, thanks! Also thanks for your great online book, I've been
reading it.

> I still post sfront updates to the list, but the level
> of bounced emails increases with each update ... it may
> reach a point where I rely on LAD, music-dsp, and related
> lists to get the word out for new releases, if the list
> membership keeps trailing off ...

So where do people go to discuss actually writing SAOL orcs? I saw a
forum at saol.net but it seemed pretty dead, and nobody was talking
about that.

I guess I'll post here and see what happens...

Three questions:

1. Here's an example of a bessel function useful for FM synthesis,
taken directly from the csound manual:

f 1 0 2049 -12 20

This draws an unscaled ln(I0(x)) from 0 to 20.

How to generate that in SAOL? There's no equivalent to gen 12 that I
can see.

I see hints that it's possible to define your own table generators,
but I can't find a section in the saol book that explains how?? Even if
I did, I don't know what the mathematical formula ln(IO(x)) means. :(

2. There's no dcblock opcode. So I figure I'll just use a hipass
   filter with a cutoff freq of 15 Hz. Anybody got a better idea?

3. Any idea why the attached saol/sasl compiles but segfaults with a
coredump when I run it? I have sfront Version 0.79 11/04/01, and
all the examples that ship with it seem to work just fine.

here's what I do:

[pw_AT_slink synths]$ sfront -aout test.wav -orc pwm.saol -sco pwm.sasl
sfront, a SAOL to C translator. Version 0.79 11/04/01.
Run sfront with -license option for Copyright/License info.

[pw_AT_slink synths]$ gcc sa.c -lm -o pwm
[pw_AT_slink synths]$ ./pwm
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Any ideas?

--